Friday 1 March 2013

Question 1 - Text Format


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

The music video I created conforms to some of Andrew Goodwin's media theories. For example’ his ideas on music videos, such as the obvious link between the visuals and the lyrics. This is relevant to my product as I have followed the story told in the song and re-created a literal visual representation. For example, as the main characters walk off screen, a gradual zoom to close up of a bouquet of flowers is used, which could be linked to the lyrics: “Flowers laid out for you”. The pace of my music video might also link to Goodwin’s theory that music and visuals also intertwine at times. The song I chose “Say Goodnight” by Bullet For My Valentine starts off with a slow tempo and towards the end the mood changes and builds to a fast tempo, therefore when editing my music video, I ensured to keep a steady pace, making sure the cuts of shots were on the beat, and didn’t contradict the melody of the song. I specifically edited my narrative in relation to the tempo as well purposefully showing the turning point of their relationship as the song becomes angry and fast paced. The fact I edited my music video utilising a slow motion effect also assisted in keeping my music video on the beat and ultimately what made the pace so well fitted to my song.

Furthermore, Goodwin states that music videos might also be used to amplify emotions and moods, without completely illustrating the song. In terms of this theory, my music video conforms perfectly, due to how the happy mood, and towards the end, the sad mood and sense of loneliness is displayed by both characters throughout my narrative, capturing the essence of the song, whilst creating a completely new storyline. This grabs the audience’s attention, keeping their interest the whole way through, until the two characters’ paths split at the end of the video; where it is revealed through the use of an iconic signifier; a close-up of a dead end sign blurring to a lens flare, that they are not destined to be together.

In terms of the representation, I attempted to create a sense of love but also hate within my music video. I essentially did this through the use of mise-en-scene. For instance, by filming in multi-locations I was able to allow the mood and feeling to change throughout allowing the audience to relate each location to a different emotion and more importantly allowing them to follow the story and character emotions more easily. Another way this was portrayed would be in the costumes of my actors; dressing them in dark clothing, also signifying the impending doom or the quality of their relationship, reinforcing the idea of the characters being trapped in a dead-end relationship. This idea complements my song choice as within it are references to past memories that could make audiences feel sympathetic; “I live my life in misery, I’d sacrifice this world to hold you”.

My music video fits into the heavy metal music genre, due to the footage within my product echoing many shots used in music videos for artists such as 'Rammstein' and 'Rise Against'. An example of this is my focus on destruction and generally dark matters. Close-up shots of the band members allows the audience to get closer to their idols, and also encapsulate the codes and conventions of heavy metal music videos typically shots that are used in order to create an intimate feel to the video, as the songs usually aim to make the listener sympathise with the bands emotions – in contrast to perhaps indie music that aims to make the listener feel calm and mellow.

My focus on locations is what makes my music video so aesthetically pleasing. Finding the right locations, such as a dark field, helps to target my video at the right audience. Those who listen to Heavy Metal music will appreciate the outdoor setting and be able to relate it to the characters’ lifeless and empty relationship. Therefore, the locations within my video are easier and more effective for my audience to identify with. Furthermore, those who listen to Heavy metal music who live in city areas might find great joy in enduring within footage outside of their normal environment, creating a sense of escapism, whilst also maintaining the codes and conventions of a heavy metal video showing the band playing on a proper stage with lighting. My video would largely appeal to young, white, male, and blue-collar, however the group also includes those outside its core demographic base who follow its dress codes, appearance, and behaviour. This is because the band consists of young men who sing about issues that others in their group can relate to. Although their vocals may not necessarily portray this, their lyrics do; therefore largely appealing to those of a similar social group. Due to this, I carefully picked my band members and actors to appear as stereotypical metal types. This is so I could ensure that my audience would feel a personal identification with my actors, as they belong to that group of fans, also helping them to feel more engaged with the narrative as they too may have been in the same or a similar situation. By definition this means that my video is also applicable to Bulmer and Katz' Uses and Gratifications theory.

My video reinforces the concept of how the actions you make have an impact on other people’s lives as well as your own, in the form of a linear narrative mixed in with a band performance to demonstrate the emotions that the artists have towards the events portrayed in the narrative. The story begins by showing the main characters fond memories of a past relationship, in which we see the female character smiling and often cuddling with the male protagonist. However, the restrictive narrative ensure that occasional shots to the main character, with a troubled or vacant expression, shot in a different location bring to the attention of the audience that fact that he regrets what has happened; making the audience feel sympathetic towards him and recognising his issues. This could make my story slightly more abstract as the linear narrative is intermittently interrupted to reinforce the message that he is now unhappy. The use of the dark footage towards the end of my video show the darkening mood and gives connotations of a depraved relationship making audiences feel sympathetic towards him and the band in general but ultimately still thrive for their success.


Magazine Advert

Similarly to my music video, my magazine advert conforms to the conventions of real-media products in relation to the Heavy Metal genre. The artists name is clearly written at the top left, making sure that it is the first thing the potential audience see whether they read left to right or top to bottom. Furthermore any fans will instantly recognise the advert as it’s done in the same font that ‘Bullet For My Valentine’ usually use; and also displayed the same as it is on the Digipak. This creates a house style and a common theme, so that the products are easily identified and comparable with each other. The title of the album is placed along the bottom to underpin the rest of the graphic, so that it is the last thing that the potential audience read. I did this as it has been proven in memory tests that when it comes to short term memory people remember the first and last things that they read, this means that it will stick in their minds. It features a five-star rating from well-known and respected magazines "NME” and a five 'K' rating from Metal magazine “Kerrang!” intetextually referencing that it's a Metal Genre music video. This ensures the potential audience that the album is good as they know that these magazines carry prestige and they respect that. It also contains quotes such as: “Brit-metal gold” and “This band's got chops!” in order to help promote the album and give it that additional support that it deserves, helping to sell the album. The language I used to describe the album suits the style of the band’s genre, as ‘BFMV’s’ target audience will enjoy the heavy but deep and distinctive music, which the lexis I have used, help to represent. The effect of having the frontman and signer holding a sledgehammer also fits into the theme of my music video, as it allows the fans to feel closer to him with the smiling face but also shows his rebellious side which attracts many of the fans thanks to the sledgehammer. I created one in portrait and one in landscape; this is so that I could ensure that the album could be promoted and advertised in multiple locations, for example, a bus stop advert in portrait and a billboard in landscape.




Digipack Cover

My Digipak maintains this modern rebellious style with the application of tints and filter lights to the photographs I took during my first film shoot. One of the images are of my main actor standing against a white background which I was easily able to remove, holding a sledgehammer to reflect his dark side. The other one was an image of opportunity which I spotted one day as I was walking around. ‘Bullet For My Valentine’ use a lot of crows in their album artwork to represent darkness and the fact that crows fly in small groups like their band itself. I noticed it sitting on a TV aerial with the sun perfectly behind it and took a photo. The filters on these photos make the scenery appear darker and more intriguing, ultimately making the album itself more appealing and eye catching. These photos therefore both conform to the typical representations of Heavy Metal artists, who are often portrayed as dark and profound. The concept of identity is something I have played around with during the course of my project, as the bands style is dark and therefore possibly unapproachable but the fans want to be able to get to know the band better. Therefore I made sure that the picture was inviting but at the same time kept the element of rebellion in it hence my continuation of this theme throughout my digipak, magazine advert and ultimately my music video. I also included a record label logo of ’20-20 records’ so that potential audience members will be able to recognize the industrial record label and associate it with this genre, helping to advertise the artist and the company at once, also making sure that any potential audience members who appreciate this record labels music know that they would like this album. The copyright details are also included as well as typical generic conventions such as a track list and a barcode. These all contribute to making my product look as professional and as close to real-life media texts as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment